Exciting! We have a brand new SEO term to throw around, YMYL.
Definition YMYL: YMYL stands for Your Money, Your Life. This is a term used to specify pages on the Internet that comment on subjects regarding your financial future or your well being. Google looks particualrly hard at how these pages rank in their search engine because of the impact they can have on fiances or health.
According to Google
“There are some pages for which PQ is particularly important. We call these pages Your Money or Your Life (YMYL) pages. They are pages that can have an impact on your current or future well being (physical, financial, safety, etc.). YMYL pages should come from reputable websites and the content should be created with a high level of expertise and authority.”
As we can see, these pages need to be created by someone which a member of the Google manual review team believes is an expert. This goes back to the comment of a SME, which was touched on last week.
What are Your Money, Your Life Pages?
This information is pulled directly from Google.
- Pages that solicit personal information, such as personal identification numbers, bank account numbers, drivers license numbers, etc., which could be used for identify theft.
- Pages used for monetary transactions, on which users might give their credit account or bank account information; for example any page that allows you to buy something.
- Pages that offer medical or health information that could impact your physical well being.
- Pages offering advice on major life decisions, such as pages on parenting, purchasing a home, a vehicle, etc.
- Pages offering advice on major life issues that could impact your future happiness and finances, such as pages giving legal or financial advice.
As we can see, YMYL pages will be under increased scrutiny moving forward. If you own a site that offers this content, make sure you follow the rules above to ensure top SEO rankings.