FAQS // Amazon Marketing FAQ
1. In Amazon SEO, What is A9?
A9 is the name of the Amazon subsidiary that develops the company’s search engine and search advertising algorithm.
If you’re interested in Amazon SEO, you should learn as much as you can about the algorithm that Amazon uses to rank products and ads.
There are a number of factors that Amazon uses to determine search rank. Here are a few of them:
- Relevance to search text – Obviously, the algorithm will look for text in product descriptions and titles that match the search query.
- Availability – Amazon isn’t likely to rank products that are currently out of stock.
- Pricing – Amazon wants to give its users the best experience possible. That means ranking lower-priced items above higher-priced competing products.
2. Is There Such a Thing As Amazon Black Hat SEO?
Some people have tried to manipulate the Amazon search rankings, but it’s usually a futile effort.
One of the ways that people attempt to rank near the top is with fake reviews. They’ll contact some unscrupulous company that has people who will post 4- and 5-star reviews of products they’ve never purchased.
When Amazon catches those folks, they not only delist their products, they also sue the person who solicited the fake reviews.
In other words, it’s most certainly not a good idea to practice Amazon black hat SEO.
If you’re serious about Amazon SEO, follow the rules. Optimize your product listing for keywords and practice outstanding customer service.
3. Are There Any Amazon SEO Keyword Research Tools?
Amazon SEO, like Google SEO, often begins with keyword research.
Fortunately, there are tools that you can use to help you uncover keywords that people are using on Amazon. Here are a few of them:
- MerchantWords – Helps you discover long tail keywords that buyers are using to find what you’re selling.
- AMZTracker – This service bills itself as “the only software for Amazon that grows rankings and helps you keep them.” It’s a bit pricey, but a lot of Amazon sellers swear by it.
- Sellics – This all-in-one Amazon seller solution includes a keyword finder.
4. How Does the Amazon Algorithm Determine SEO Rankings?
Simply enough, when a consumer searches a keyword for a product, the seller listings that match the consumer keywords best, are placed in order of relevance on the SERP. Keyword match may be the most influential ranking factor but it is not the only one. Here are other more indirect factors that could impact your product listing ranking:
- Fulfillment type
- Quality and quantity of product reviews
- Images and image quality
- Enhanced brand content (EBC) or A+ content
- Advertising / PPC ads