Introduced in June 2023, Google Perspectives is gaining popularity as more people are using it for insights across the web.
This could have an impact on branded and non-branded searches in significant ways. It puts third-party opinions front and center.
Let’s dive into what Google Perspectives are, its implications for branded and non-branded searches, and actionable strategies for optimizing your search terms.
What are Google Perspectives?
Google Perspectives is a tab within Google’s search results that aggregates content from third-party websites, social media platforms, community threads, and more, but notably, it excludes direct content from the brands’ websites.
Insights on Branded Searches
For branded searches, Perspectives offers a unique challenge and opportunity.
Since it doesn’t pull content directly from a brand’s website, the traditional SEO focus on optimizing your own site’s content won’t suffice. Instead, brands need to ensure that their presence on social media, forums, and other platforms is strong, positive, and engaging. The visibility of your brand in Perspectives is heavily influenced by the content others are creating about you, making reputation management and social media engagement more crucial than ever.
It is going to pull from these other sites… Making SEO and social truly one!
Insights on Non-Branded Searches
Non-branded searches in Perspectives highlight the importance of broader content strategies.
For queries not directly related to a specific brand, Google aims to surface content that offers unique expertise and perspectives.
This means creating content that’s genuinely useful, engaging, and expertly crafted can help your brand or your content creators get featured in Perspectives, even if the search isn’t directly related to your brand name. This requires a focus on quality, authenticity, and engagement across various platforms.
Look at all of this Reddit and Quora!
Action Items for Optimizing Branded Searches
Here is how I would optimize for Google Perspectives SEO…
- Enhance Your Social Media Presence: Regularly publish engaging, informative content on platforms like YouTube, Instagram, and Reddit. Engagement drives visibility, so encourage interactions through comments, shares, and likes.
- Leverage User-Generated Content: Encourage your customers to share their experiences with your brand on their social media channels and forums. User-generated content can significantly boost your visibility in Perspectives.
- Monitor Your Brand’s Online Reputation: Use social listening tools to keep track of what’s being said about your brand online. Address negative comments constructively and engage positively with your audience.
We all need a positive branded presence on these third-party websites.
Action Items for Optimizing Non-Branded Searches
Let’s talk non-branded… It is similar but less focused on the social sites you own… These, for branded, still work. They can work for non-branded too if you are answering the right questions and targeting the correct terms.
- Create Valuable Content: Focus on generating content that offers unique insights, answers questions, and provides value from an expert point of view. This content can live on your blog, YouTube channel, or even as guest posts on other sites.
- Engage with Community Platforms: Actively participate in forums, Q&A sites like Quora, and discussion boards related to your industry. Share your expertise and insights to build authority and visibility.
- Optimize for Experience and Expertise: Google’s helpful content update means that experiences and expertise are more valuable than ever. Ensure your content, wherever it’s posted, highlights your unique knowledge and firsthand experiences.
Final Thoughts on Google Perspectives
Google Perspectives is more than just a new feature; it’s a paradigm shift in how information is curated and presented in search results.
By focusing on amplifying diverse voices and experiences, Google is challenging brands to think beyond their websites and engage more deeply with the broader digital ecosystem.
For brands and marketers, adapting to this shift means embracing a multi-platform content strategy that prioritizes engagement, authenticity, and expertise. We all should really be doing this anyway 🙂
The opportunity to influence brand perception through Perspectives is significant, but it requires a thoughtful, proactive approach to content creation and community engagement. Let’s embrace this challenge and turn it into an opportunity to highlight the best of what our brands have to offer!
What do you think about Google Perspectives? Comment below!