If you have a business, you need a Facebook page. It doesn’t matter whether you are a multinational conglomerate and a household name on all seven continents or a Mom and Pop drycleaner. If you aren’t on Facebook, you are out of touch with the rest of the world.
Many business that use Facebook as a marketing tool are only using 10% of its functionality. There is a lot more power available here than just setting up a fan page, uploading a few photos, updating content and checking for comments. Once inside the Facebook environment, unless you put in some effort into customizing your page, there is a danger that it will look pretty much like every other Facebook page. Photos, graphics, contests, games and other applications give you the ability to make your page stand out from the crowd and make it look like it belongs to you. We can even take it a step further by doing advanced customization as well.
We’ve put together a list of top Facebook apps for marketers to help you access this vast new world of tools to help you expand your business and turn fans into customers. Special features allow you to display merchandise, display content that is visible to fans only, offer exclusive discounts and even sell merchandise from your Facebook page without your fans even having to leave the social network.
1. iFrames – With iFrames, anything you can create on a website, you can put on a Facebook page. The term “iFrame” stands for “inline frame.” Essentially, an iFrame is an HTML document nestled inside another HTML document imported from another website. iFrames has loads of functionality, internal apps and is very versatile. The downside is it is technically complicated and unless you are a complete nerd or have one at your beck and call, it might not be for you.
2. Shortstack – A less tech-intense environment than iFrames, Shortstack is a self-service custom app design tool that lets you create apps not only for Facebook Pages but also for websites and mobile web browsing. You can add new, custom tabs to your Facebook Page in less time than it takes to update your status. Add or delete widgets, forms and Facebook features, integrate your Twitter feed, YouTube content, maps, analytics, photographs or RSS. Best of all, Shortstack takes you by the hand and guides you gently through the entire process with LOADS of tutorials.
3. Involver, now owned by Oracle, is another one-stop shop to look for custom apps for your Facebook page. Incorporate your YouTube channel as a tab on your page or share Twitter and RSS feeds. Among the most intriguing apps available is Social Catalog, which allows your fans share the fascinating histories behind their purchases of your products and allows you to glean info about your fans and their friends. Shades of what’s to come with FBs forthcoming Facebook Graph Search, perhaps? Download two apps for free, part with cash to get more.
4. Band Profile – brands itself as a serious FB app for serious musicians. As well as the facility for bold graphics, it allows bands to show tour schedules, offer tracks available for downloads, watch videos and more.
5. Facebook Causes app – The Facebook Causes app allows charities and other non-profit organizations to set up campaigns and accept donations directly.
6. Pholiofy – is based on WordPress and easier to use than some HTML-based apps. Create your own customized landing tab within minutes. Upload logos, videos, photographs, coupons and promotions. Fangate app lets you show exclusive content to your fans. Pages that use Pholiofy look terrific. Free 14-day trial period, no credit cards required.
7. Wildfire – in addition to Facebook, Wildfire lets you create aps and run promotions across most main social media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. Run any type of promotion, including sweepstakes, contests, giveaways, coupons and others. Track results in real time and watch your audience and customer base grow.
8. Pagemodo – This app helps you produce some of the best-looking Facebooks pages around. one of the easiest page-creators to use, it really is as easy as 1-2-3. Cut your teeth on some of their free page templates.
9. Woobox is another one-stop shop for all your Facebook app needs. Used by more than 1.5 million fans, Woobox has aps for coupons, sweepstakes, polls and contests. Links your FB page to Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram. Has those three little words every marketer longs to hear – Try it free.
10. MyWebees – allows you to upload your web site to your FB page within a handful of mouseclicks. Photos come out quite fuzzy (may be clearer after 14-day free trial period when you have to start paying?). Great to use when you are in a hurry to put something up. Not a brilliant long-term solution. This is actually not awesome…
With the entire world on Facebook, there is no excuse for not maintaining a presence their for your own company or organization. With the world of helpful and easy applications available for everyone from the novice to the expert, there is no excuse for having a boring Facebook page.