Social Media has really skyrocketed the visibility of nonprofits in the last couple years and provided another opportunity for reaching new volunteers, potential donors and connections in a cost effective way. Social media has given nonprofits the options to tell stories and harness interested connections. To take your social platforms to the next level follow these 9 Social Media Tips for Nonprofits.
- Choose the Right Platform – Go to the social media platform where you think your nonprofit will best convey its message, not just where all the people are.
- Abide by the 80-20 Rule – When posting content, 80% should be a healthy mix of industry news, personal interactions or fun content. While the remaining 20% should be about the nonprofit itself, such as appeals for donations or highlighting special events.
- Say it with Photos – Photos convey a strong message, for nonprofits this is especially important to appeal to the primary cause. Make sure it is followed up with a meaningful message, which leads us too…
- Master Storytelling – Engage your connections with a message that is compelling and thought-provoking. It’s important to really pull the heartstrings of potential supporters. Here’s a great example of Tinkerbell the dog, who was sadly hit by a car, but is on her way to recovery!
- Use Ads – If your budget allows, take advantage of Ads of Facebook, Twitter or even Reddit and StumbleUpon so you can get your brand recognized!
- Appeals – Online users are weary of where there money is going. On social media, notify them where there money is going and how their donation will make an impact.
- Viral Campaign – If you’re experiencing a lull on your social media, think of a way to draw in new connections in a fun and charismatic way to excite your connections. A viral video or a contest is a great way to break the mold.
- Communicate Often – It was once considered a nuisance to have connections see your posts more than several times a day. However, because of the changes in Facebook’s algorithm, post are getting less visibility and it is recommended to post more often.
- Build Relationships – Just like a business, it’s essential to communicate with your connections and maintain a two-way dialogue.