#STOPHATEFORPROFIT. How is Facebook responding to this ad boycott?
As of late, folks are taking the current civil revolution to Facebook. They feel that Facebook has tolerated racism, hate speech and is turning a blind eye to current voter-suppression tactics.
Huge brands like Coke, Honda, Verizon and Starbucks are among the more than 100 companies who are now threatening to pull their ad dollars from Facebook, in support of Stop Hate for Profit.
These brands have threatened to take this movement global if Facebook does not make changes — such a move would absolutely kill Facebook’s ad revenue.
Thus, Mark Zuckerberg has finally spoken. Here is his response to Stop Hate for Profit:
- Facebook will provide voting information and help people register through the platform.
- Any new forms of voter suppression will be prevented, here-on-out.
- Misleading content on when or where voting is to happen will be banned.
- Facebook will prevent voter intimidation.
- Content from public figures that violate these terms will be labeled as such.
- Any content around violence or that which deters people form voting will be removed.